Friday, December 11, 2009

Emerging from the Maternity Cocoon


Greetings from mommy-land! Over the past several months I took time out to welcome a new son into our family, and now that he has just passed through the "fourth trimester," I am starting to emerge from the maternity cocoon. Now I'm starting to feel like I have a bit of a handle on our day to day lives, and recently that certain writing "itch" has been returning. So I'm back, although I doubt that I will be as prolific as before due to the challenges of managing my expanded family, as well as new focus on activities for my nearly-preschool first son, but I don't think that's a bad thing. The second child has brought a certain sharpened focus to my day to day life, and I think that my writing will also benefit.





So, what seems relevant to me these days? Well, I have to say, I'm hopelessly adrift when it comes to the health care debate, which alarms me I can tell you. I'm also really disconnected from the debate because of the political brouhaha that makes the warring proposals harder to keep track of than the current count of Tiger's mistresses! I don't think I'm alone, and I think that it is pretty troublesome because the implications for generations to come are pretty significant, so it feels plain wrong to be out of the loop, but who can blame the American public for just glazing over..."Anyone, Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?"

Additionally, I followed very closely the coverage of the H1N1 (swine) flu, and the vaccine. Kind of happy NOT to have written during the height of the furor, because I think my head would have exploded in frustration. Ultimately, I came away from that whole situation understanding on a deeper level just how much one misses if one simply watches the evening news, and losing some respect for the state of "mainstream" journalists in the process. That's a story for another time.

Value and values have also been dominant on my current curiosity radar. As a newly expanded family, surviving during these tough times, I've been really following some great sources for being thrifty and creative, so as I come across interesting things, I'll also include those in the mix.

Now that my nursling allows me use of more than just one hand to type, I hope to post more often and keep up the quest to stay abreast of the currents that we moms swim in.

Stay tuned...more to come!


No comments:


View my page on twitter moms
Alltop, all the cool kids (and me) Save Handmade Toys