Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Raining, It's Pouring!: Confronting Issues of Personal Relevance


If there is anything in parenting that I am being forced to repeatedly learn it is to be flexible, and just take it one day at a time. This applies to life as well. Over the last two weeks I have tended to a house of sick people, and caught the dratted virus myself, which is oh so fun when one is pregnant as well. Additionally late last week brought news of a fellow mom of two young children in my circle of friends who passed away, and whose funeral I hope to drag my stuffy headed self to this afternoon, when my ultra supportive husband makes it home from work early to allow me to do so without my son in tow. Wrestling with a toddler and the enormity of a death that should not have happened at the same time are just more than I can handle at the moment. To sum it up, the news of the world has just not taken as much precedence in my head as the local news of my life presently, hence the stoppage.

But I am reading, and thinking and here are some things that are knocking around in my head, please feel free to add your own in the comments:
  • Excitable and irresponsible reporting. Somewhere along the way journalism has turned a decidedly bright shade of yellow (look it up in your history books, ok Google it, if you don't get this reference, because frankly you need to understand this!), and those we trust to report and investigate the news are instead consumed with capturing our eyeballs with stomach churning intent. I've been reading the news about the banking industry, and frankly, "ya'll need to calm down." A significant degree of this "crisis" is the psychological grip of fear that politicians and "journalists" are stoking to get their piece of the news cycle. When I feel more centered this is a post I have GOT to write, if only to preserve my OWN sanity.
  • The death of local news. When an institution such as the San Francisco Chronicle (ironically tied to that whole yellow journalism thing in our history) is threatening to close its doors, holey tamales people! Talk about "too big to fail," the death of local reporting is a BIG deal.
  • Getting by day to day. I've been amassing resource links for alot of "news you can use."
  • Octuplet mom (I refuse to use the nicknames on principle). Talk about self exploitation, this is all a huge train wreck of emotional instability and cultural prejudicial backlash.
  • Accountability and Accessibility. It's important to put the "P" in participative democracy, but there is alot of "O" in overwhelmed and "B" in busy, so I've been tracking articles and tools that help you Participate, while Overwhelmed and Busy.
  • Much more!
What's rattling around your brains these days?

Photo Credit wandelgraaf

1 comment:

growingupartists said...

Can't wait, will be watching my sidebar for your latest relevant article.


View my page on twitter moms
Alltop, all the cool kids (and me) Save Handmade Toys