Tuesday, August 19, 2008

This Little Piggy Went to Market, This Little Piggy Came Home Broke: Relevant News You Can Use

Today's economy requires attention, if not creativity, in making the most of your dwindling dollars. An article in the New York Times not long ago found that perhaps mothers were not deciding to stay home with their children because they wanted to necessarily, but because they didn't have better options in the workforce that allowed them to raise their families well AND balance the family books. And, whether you stay at home or not, the economic pinch increasingly requires both camps to make adjustments and choices in your daily lives. Here is relevant and useful information I've found recently:
  • While John Dillin, correspondent for The Christian Science Monitor, started by implementing some green remodeling features in his home to lower his bills, ultimately he found that his greatest savings came from simple things, not requiring a contractor and building permit. I can attest that the simple act of capturing and reusing my dish wash and rinse water to water my plants in my water rationed neighborhood in CA, in part helped me to shave 100 units off my last water bill.
  • I must admit that I am not the best coupon hunter out there, but if you've got the time and the tenacity, the deals are out there. Click the links for great resources.
  • E Bay is not the only source for deals, and in fact some niche sites now offer deals and flexibility for both buyers and sellers.
  • Look for opportunities to swap items for free. Check out Recyclegroupfinder.com, Freecycle.org, Freesharing.org, and the Reuseit network. One single mom on a morning news program was able to furnish her entire apartment for free by using FreeCycle.
  • Recently my husband was reading a column by Tom Purcell about the household frugality tactics implemented by his wife, and he stopped what I was doing and shoved it under my nose, with a "this man feels my pain," look upon his face. Yes, I to had discussed the prospect of making our own laundry soap just a few weeks prior with him. I haven't yet tried it, but it is becoming more and more tempting.




Make Your Own Laundry Soap! - The most amazing videos are a click away

Happy penny pinching!

No comments:


View my page on twitter moms
Alltop, all the cool kids (and me) Save Handmade Toys